Bellaire, the "City of Homes," is an incorporated city in the heart of the Houston area. As an incorporated city, Bellaire has its own Police Department, Water Department and Fire Department.
In 1909, W. W. Baldwin bought 9,700 acres of the De Moss Ranch and the original townsite of Bellaire was part of this purchase. It was registered in 1911 and incorporated as a city in June, 1918. During the early years no taxes were collected by the city; the marshall was the only paid employee and his salary came from fines levied against owners of wayward cattle.
The city grew slowly between 1918 and 1940, with only 25 homes built before 1919, 75 by 1929, and up to 330 by the end of 1939. After World War II there was a relative boom, with 2,856 additional homes built by 1950. During the last several years, Bellaire has enjoyed strong redevelopment of its neighborhoods. Many existing homes on treed lots have been torn down to make room for two- story traditional family homes.
Bellaire residents have always had a great deal of community pride which has weathered even the strongest controversies, including the building of Loop 610 in the 1960's, resulting in the loss of about 250 homes in the city.
Today, Bellaire homeowners have a lot about which to be proud, including the excellent reputation of its neighborhood schools, its surrounding commercial development, and the beauty of the various architectural styles found in its homes. Bellaire is close to many major highways in Houston, providing easy access to the world-renowned Texas Medical Center, The Galleria, various business districts and a wide assortment of cultural events.
The City of Bellaire, Texas offers many advantages to its residents, and with more than 80 years of history as a precedent, it continues to be a thriving community which attracts a great deal of homebuyer interest.